The Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) is a priority listing of all federally funded transportation projects programmed for implementation during a five-year period. The TIP is consistent with the goals and objectives defined in the long-range Metropolitan Transportation Plan (MTP).
This region's TIP is developed cooperatively using a defined process by a team led by the GBNRTC staff and NYSDOT Region 5 staff. All TIP modifications must follow approved guidelines, defined by the type and extent of change, and be approved by the appropriate governing body.
The TIP is updated every other year to reflect those projects of highest priority based on need, local desires, long-range plan conformity and funding availability. The federal regulations for developing and maintaining the TIP can be found in 23 CFR 450 Subpart C Sections 300 to 340, 23 CFR Appendix A to Part 450 and 40 CFR Section 93.127.
The recently approved TIP covers the period from October 1, 2019 through September 30, 2024 and includes highway, transit, bicycle, pedestrian, and demand management and air quality projects, as well as studies and programs within the Greater Buffalo-Niagara Region.
Public involvement in the development and maintenance of the TIP is both continuous and extensive. Please reference our approved Public Participation Plan for more details.
Questions regarding the TIP may be submitted to Richard Guarino, AICP via email or phone (716-856-2026 x307) .
Current TIP Information (Effective 10/1/19)
2020-2024 TIP Document:
Complete Approved Document (10 MB)
Project Location Maps:
Interactive Map (Coming Soon)
Complete Map Set (PDF) (4MB)
TIP Amendment Summary:
Document (Coming Soon)
FFY 2020 Annual Element
FFY 2019 Obligated Projects
+ TIP Change guidelines and forms
- TIP Guidebook - provides guidance for the TIP and outlines the TIP process
- Initial Project Proposal (IPP) Form - Required Adobe Acrobat form for submitting project proposals (Updated 02/14/17)
- IPP Form Instructions - Guide to filling out IPP forms (Updated 10/14/15)
- TIP Project Change Form v4 - Microsoft Word Document Download
+ Transportation Projects Subcommittee (TPS)
The mission of the Transportation Projects Subcommittee is to address any and all issues pertaining to the development, maintenance and monitoring of the region’s Transportation Improvement Program (TIP).
The subcommittee has among its tasks:
- Review descriptive data reports on the region’s transportation infrastructure
- Design and implement project selection procedures
- Prioritize and schedule regional projects
- Prepare and recommend a fiscally constrained multi-year TIP
- Assess and incorporate public feedback
- Regularly review project status and assess cost changes
- Recommend amendments to the TIP as necessary to maintain project viability and fiscal constraints
Recommendations and advice will be forwarded to the GBNRTC PCC as required for their consideration.
TPS normally meets every third Wednesday at the GBNRTC offices at 9 am.
Monthly Meeting Summaries:
+ Previous TIPs
2017 - 2021 TIP Document
- Text Only Document (2MB)
- Detailed Project Listings (2MB)
- Project Locations (9.5MB)
- Project Locations Overlayed on Environmental Data (11.2MB)
- Project Locations Overlayed on EJ and Title VI Data (9.6MB)
- Financial Plan
- TIP Change Summary Report
2014 - 2018 TIP Document
- View the full 2014-2018 Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) (9MB)
2011-2015 TIP Document
- View the full 2011-2015 Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) (9MB)
2008-2012 TIP Document
- View the full 2008-2012 Transporation Improvement Program (TIP) (10MB)